Rental Housing

Apartments or houses are usually rented according to the number of bedrooms they have. A bachelor apartment is the smallest. It has a combined bedroom and living room, plus a kitchen and bathroom.

All apartments and houses must have a kitchen with a refrigerator and an oven. Sometimes utilities such as water, electricity (hydro) or gas (if used for heating) are included in the rent. You may have to pay extra for cable television and parking. Check to see how many vehicles you are allowed to park and how many plug-ins you have. (Cars have a block heater and must be heated in the winter or they may be damaged and will not start.)

Useful Words to Know

Tenant: A person who lives in a place that is rented. Tenants may be responsible for upkeep of property both inside and out, including mowing lawns, etc. Check with the landlord BEFORE you move in.

Landlord: This is a person who owns the building and rents it out to people.

Caretaker: This is a person the landlord hires to keep an apartment building clean and to do repairs. He/She may be the person you talk to when you are looking for a place to live. In larger buildings this person may be called the Manager or Superintendent.

Rent: Rent is the money a tenant pays the landlord or caretaker every month. Be sure you know whom to pay rent to. It is best to pay by cheque made payable to the owner. Ask for a receipt for each payment.

Damage Deposit: This is money you pay a landlord before you move in. It pays for cleaning or repairs that must be done to the apartment or house after you move out. It usually equals half of one month’s rent. If you want to get your damage deposit back when you move out, you must:

  • Leave the place in the same condition as when you moved in. 
  • Clean the house or apartment before you move out. 
  • Give proper notice in writing before you move out.

Types of Housing

Apartment: Many living units inside a large building, for rent only, usually by the month.

Condominium: Multiple unit buildings in which units can be purchased rather than rented.
                         Monthly fees cover services.

Duplex: One house with two parts suitable for two families.

Mobile Home or House Trailer: Units designed to be movable, usually located together in a “trailer park”, and may be rented or owned.

Single Family Dwellings: Individual house with yards, that may be rented or owned.

Townhouse: Attached row houses, rented or owned.  

Before You Move In


If you like an apartment or house, you may first have to complete an application form. The landlord or caretaker will consider all the applications they receive and then decide who will rent the apartment/house.

Tenancy Agreements

If your application is accepted you sign a tenancy agreement with the landlord. You agree to pay a certain amount of rent every month, and agree to certain living arrangements. Make sure you know:

  • What utilities are included (gas, hydro, water, cable)
  • If you have to pay for parking
  • If pets are allowed 
  • What date the rent is due

The landlord may ask you to sign a lease. This means you must agree to live in the apartment/house for a certain period of time.

Condition Reports

You should ask to fill out a condition report before you move in. This lists all the rooms and appliances in the apartment or house and also what condition they are in.

  • You should inspect everything listed in the condition report with the caretaker to make sure it is not already damaged. Make note of any problems or damage on the condition report. 
  • If something is damaged before you move in, ask the landlord to fix it.
  • Condition reports are available from the landlord or at the Settlement Services Office.

Paying Rent

It is best for your own records to pay by cheque. You can pay your rent directly to the landlord or caretaker or at the office of the building superintendent. The landlord or caretaker will tell you where to pay rent when you move in. You should ask for a receipt for the rent you pay each month.

Moving Out

All agreements will specify how much advance notice you must give a landlord before you can move out.

If you are renting month-to-month you may have to give the landlord advance notice in writing, one or two months before you want to move out.

If you signed a lease you will have to stay until the lease period is finished, or sublet (rent) the apartment to another tenant. Subletting the apartment can be done only after the landlord approves.

Low Income Rental Housing Contacts

Manitoba Housing Authority, 122-5th Avenue, Gimli, 642-6060

  • Rents to families with an income under $32 500
  • Rents 10 family houses in Arborg and 17 family houses in Riverton
  • Also rents seniors (over age 55) apartments

Buying Your Own Home/Property

You may need to establish a credit rating in Canada before you can get a mortgage (loan for a home). With a mortgage, you must pay 10% to 25% in advance. A bank provides you with the loan for the rest of the cost.

In some cases, homes can be purchased with a 0-5% down payment. This is done with the help of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), 1-204-983-5600.

You can find houses or lots (land) for sale:

  • Advertised by individuals in the newspaper
  • Through housing websites on the computer such as:

            - www.propertysold.ca                                    - www.mls.ca

            - www.homesellcanada.com                           - www.interlake.mb.ca

            - www.manitoba.house.info                            - Real Estate Canada

  • Through a real estate agency:
    • Interlake Real Estate, 356 River Road, Arborg, 376-3400
    • Jonasson Realty, 378 Ardal Street, Arborg, 376-5615
    • Other agencies may provide services in the area.


You will need to contact a lawyer when purchasing any property.

  • David C. King, Village of Riverton Office, 56 Laura Avenue, Riverton, 1-800-235-9009
  • Duncan E. Geisler, 315 Main Street, Arborg, 376-2022
  • Herb Liffmann, 356 River Road, Arborg, 376-2800
       - Riverton Credit Union Building, 51 Main Street, Riverton, 378-2131
  • Murray Kravetsky, Arborg Mall, 145 Sunset Blvd, Arborg, 376-2544
       - Neicom Building, 12 Main Street North, Riverton, 378-2458
  • Ronald G. Allard, 349 Main Street, Arborg, 376-5156

Building or Renovating Your Own Home

Before you build or renovate your home, you must make sure that your plans meet with building codes and zoning regulations.  You can get the help of a building contractor or you can submit your plans and get a building permit from:

  • Eastern Interlake Planning District, 62  2nd Avenue, Gimli, 642-5478
       - for residents of Arborg, Riverton, RM of Bifrost
  • RM ( Rural Municipality) of Armstrong office, Highway 17 and Railway Avenue, Inwood  
       - building inspector for residents of RM of Armstrong, 278-3377

Lumber/Building Supplies

  • Countryside Lumber, Highway 68 West, 376-3090
          - also sells RTM (ready-to-move) homes                    
  • Interlake Co-op Farm & Home Center, Highway 68, Arborg, 376-5201
  • Riverton Building Supplies, 89 Main Street, Riverton, 378-5288
  • Arborg Rona, 281 Ardal St., Arborg, 376-2600

Mobile Homes (Manufactured or Trailer Homes)

If you choose to purchase a mobile home, lots can be found for sale or for rent.

  • Arborg has a trailer park where you can rent lots for your mobile home.
    - off William Street, by Second Avenue
    - contact Town of Arborg office, 337 River Road West, 376-2647
  • Riverton has a proposed trailer park. It is in the developing stages
    - off Thorvaldason Street
    - contact Riverton Chamber of Commerce, 378-2793
  • Okno has lots for sale for mobile homes.
    - 16 km north of Arborg on Highway 326, 1.6 km west, turn north
    - contact  Okno Manufacturing, 364-2397